The Fort Stockton Code Enforcement Department is an integral part of assisting the development of the city through permitting and continued monitoring of the conditions of current residential and commercial properties. Working with developers on existing building remodels and new construction, the Building Department is the eyes of the city for all developments. The Fort Stockton Code Enforcement Department is dedicated to the enforcement of the community’s standards for safety, health, state and local construction codes, also provides efficient plan review, inspections and code enforcement, through the review of applications, building plans, construction documents, and on-site inspections by specially qualified personnel. The department is also tasked with the Emergency Preparedness Plan for the city to assist with any bad weather, consisting of warnings for natural disasters and being prepared to open shelters for travelers during winter storms. The continued safety of citizens and tourists while facilitating the growth of the City of Fort Stockton is the goal of the Code and Building Department.
ADOPTED BUILDING CODE:
(a) The 2018 International Building Code is hereby adopted to include Appendices C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K as the official building code in the corporate limits of the city.
(b) The 2018 International Residential Code is hereby adopted, as amended, to include Appendices A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, J, K, M, N as the official building code in the corporate limits of the city and delete Section P 2904 Dwelling Unit Fire Sprinkler System.
(c) The 2018 International Property Maintenance Code is hereby adopted, as the official property maintenance code in the corporate limits of the city.
(d) The 2018 International Energy Conservation Code is hereby adopted to include Appendices CA and RA as the official energy conservation code in the corporate limits of the city.
(e) The 2018 International Swimming Pool and Spa Code is hereby adopted, as the official swimming pool and spa code in the corporate limits of the city.
(f) One (1) copy of the adopted building codes shall be kept on file in the building official's office.
(g) Where the 2018 International Building, Residential, Property Maintenance, Energy Conservation, and Swimming Pool and Spa Codes conflict with local ordinances, local ordinances shall supersede.
Code Enforcement Officer
Aaron Ramos Jr.
Phone: (432) 336-8525 Ext. 102
Code Enforcement Officer
Phone: (432) 336-8525 Ext. 101
Contractors; General Registration Information
No person, firm, corporation or association shall perform or cause to be performed, any carpentry, building construction or roof work on existing buildings or new building construction before registering with the inspection and permits department of the city as general contractor, carpenter, or roofing contractor in accordance with the following provisions:
(1) Registration as a general contractor, carpenter, or roofing contractor shall be made upon forms provided by the inspection and permits department of the city and all information requested shall be submitted by the registrant.
(2) Registrations must be renewed annually in order to be authorized to do general contract, carpentry, or roofing work.
(3) Registrants must submit the following and any other information deemed appropriate by the inspection and permit department:
a. Company name, address—physical and mailing—and telephone number; name of registrant, the address and telephone number.
b. A list of names of principles and employees of the business.
c. A list of license plate numbers and vehicle identification numbers for all business vehicles.
d. The driver’s license number of registrant with photo identification.
e. A letter from a building official from the city of the registrant’s main business office verifying how long the business has been established.
f. A local business address, including mailing address and street address, if different.
g. A local business telephone number.
h. List of references on work performed locally.
i. Evidence in the form of an insurance certificate of a two thousand five-hundred-dollar ($2,500.00) bond in favor of the city.
(4) Registrants shall pay an initial registration fee of fifty dollars ($50.00) and a twenty-five-dollar ($25.00) renewal fee thereafter for each continuous year of registration.
(5) Registration may be revoked or rejected by the building official for the following reasons:
a. Failure to fully complete the registration form.
b. Providing false information on the registration form.
c. Failure to pay any required fees.
d. Refusal to correct any code violations after notice; or
e. Continuous or repeated violation of the official building code of the city.
(6) Revocation or refusal to grant registration by the building official may be appealed to the building board of appeals in accordance with applicable provisions of the official Code of the city.
(7) Exemptions: The owner of a building requiring work, repairs or roof work may perform such work on a building he owns without registering as a general contractor, carpenter, or roofing contractor. Such work may also be performed by the owner’s regular maintenance employees or uncompensated volunteers, without registration by said employees or volunteers.
(8) Penalty for violations: Any person, firm or corporation violating any of the terms and provisions of this section shall be subject to a fine of two hundred dollars ($200.00). Each day, or fraction of a day, such violation continues shall constitute a separate offense.