Annie Riggs Museum
The Annie Riggs Memorial Museum features displays and exhibits depicting the heritage and development of Fort Stockton and surrounding areas in thirteen rooms and the hidden courtyard. The parlor, lobby, dining room and kitchen are filled with old photographs, collectibles and furnishings.
One of the recreated hotel rooms contains an iron bed that Annie ordered from Sears and Roebuck for $6.75, and shows what a guest would have encountered in 1905. In the kitchen is the first electric stove in Fort Stockton, purchased by Annie in 1922. Other exhibit areas are dedicated to archaeology, geology, religion, ranching, Hispanic heritage, pioneers, and early businesses. In the courtyard sits and early 1900’s buggy, and the East grounds offer a view of our native Texas garden.
The lobby showcases a desk that originally sat in the 1883 Pecos County courthouse and has quite a story surrounding it. Sheriff A.J. Royal was murdered while sitting at that desk in 1894, and his bloodstains remain in the drawer. Although no one was indicted for the crime it was a common belief that several prominent Fort Stockton businessmen drew straws to determine who would kill the controversial sheriff. Five Texas Rangers had been sent to town at the request of the citizens because of a volatile feuding atmosphere leading up to the 1894
election. Royal was not re-elected, and was killed two weeks later. Three of the Rangers were still here at the time. “Who killed Sheriff Royal?” remains one of the great mysteries of Pecos County.
The museum houses a gift shop with Texana and Western items and an excellent book selection. The two volume Pecos County History books are still available on request.
Fort Stockton Historical Society
The Society is a private, non-profit organization founded in 1954, with the goal “to preserve, restore and utilize our historical past.” In 1955 the Society established a museum in the Riggs Hotel.
In addition to the hotel building, the Society owns the “Oldest House” in Fort Stockton (1859). Located at 400 South Nelson, the old adobe was the Sutler’s store for the first fort established here, pre-Civil War Camp Stockton. An audio presentation is available at the site. The Historical Society also owns the Judge O. W. Williams office building
Convention & Visitor’s Bureau
The City of Fort Stockton through the Fort Stockton Convention and Visitor Bureau (CVB) promotes and manages tourism for Fort Stockton. Funding comes from local imposed Hotel/Motel taxes. CVB Staff is housed at the Visitor Center in addition to the Fort Stockton Chamber of Commerce.
The CVB is responsible for marketing Fort Stockton as a tourist destination via all forms of media including electronic, print advertising, billboards and brochure publication. The CVB manages and operates city owned properties including the Historic Fort, the Grey Mule Saloon and the Fort Stockton Visitor Center and Grounds.
Members of the Fort Stockton Convention and Visitor Bureau Board of Directors include Mayor William C. Lannom, Board President Dwayne Bonham, Board Vice-President Paula Traynham, and members Jim Ivy, Remijio Ramos, Angela Harral and Frank Rodriguez, III. THE CVB Director is Doug May and Associate Director is Crystal Lopez.
Fort Stockton Chamber of Commerce
The Fort Stockton Chamber is a member-based organization promoting tourism and economic development in Fort Stockton, Texas. Please visit the Chamber site for a complete list of programs and services, as well as the membership directory.
Fort Stockton Economic Development Council
Fort Stockton has established both 4-A and 4-B Economic Development Corporations. The mission for both Corporations is simple; RETAIN AND CREATE JOBS/EXPAND AND DIVERSIFY THE LOCAL ECONOMY. All actions of both corporations are designed to meet that goal. The Corporations are both governed by Boards appointed by the Fort Stockton City Council. To qualify, Board Members must either own and operate a local business or be an Executive in a local business