Phone: (432) 336-3092
Fax: (432) 336-3084
The Sanitation Department’s mission is to provide quality and professional customer service to the citizens of Fort Stockton through the efficient and timely collection and disposal of Solid Waste and Recyclables from more than 3,000 customers per week in an environmentally safe and cost efficient manner in accordance with State and Federal Regulations and City Policies.
Welcome to the Sanitation Department
This department is responsible for providing the citizens of the City of Fort Stockton with garbage and trash collection. The authorized departmental manning strength is 12 employees. The department services approximately 7,000 residences two times per week. It also services for approximately 400 business accounts with once a week to 6 times a week, and recyclables collection is provided once per week. Bulk trash disposal is provided every day throughout the city as an extra cost service.
For more information, please call 432-336-8525
Within the Corporate Limits.
(a) The rate to be charged by the City to sanitation customers within its corporate limits shall be based on twice weekly pickup for residential customers and a maximum of once daily (Monday through Saturday) for commercial customers. If commercial customers require more pickups than the stated maximum, the business will be charged accordingly.
(b) The schedule of sanitation rates to be charged to customers inside the city limits is as follows:
Rate Table #1
Type of Service
|(1)||All residential customers, including mobile homes, duplexes, triplexes, or quadruplexes, per unit.||$37.00|
|(2)||All residential customers, including mobile homes, duplexes, triplexes, or quadruplexes, per unit, qualifying for certain property tax exemptions, as outlined in Sec.12-79.||$24.37|
|(3)||Churches without school.||$32.00|
|Churches with school.||Rate #5; Table No. 2 applies|
|(4)||Apartments: Complexes with five (5) or more apartments–Rate of Twenty-Five Dollars & Sixty Cents ($25.80) per month for each apartment. 6Apartments are charged in the apartment complex times Eighty (80%) percent occupancy rate per Thirty-Two Dollars ($32.00) for each apartment year equals Twenty-Five Dollars & Sixty Cents ($25.60).|
|(5)||Commercial: All mercantile, professional, business, motels and schools.||(See Rate Table No. 2)|
|(6)||F.S.I.S.D.: Receives a 25% discount for fiscal year(s) 2009-2010; 20% for 2010-2011; 15% for 2011-2012; 10% for 2012-2013; & 5% for 2013-2014. Thereafter payment is due @ the current sanitation rate charge.|
|(7)||96 gallon roll-out cart with one (1) pickup per week for Residential customers outside the city limits will require a Fifty-Five Dollar ($55.00) deposit||$32.00|
Rate Table #2
The base rate for a Commercial container collected One (1) time per week shall be Sixty-Three Dollars ($71.00) per month.
Extra pickups for Commercial and Residential accounts inside city limits will be assessed a Twenty Dollar ($20.00) Service Charge and for Commercial accounts outside city limits a Thirty Dollar ($30.00) service charge will apply.
Bulk trash pickups for commercial customers shall be assessed a service fee of Twenty Dollars ($20.00) per pickup in addition to the current rate fee of the Municipal Solid Waste Facility for the weight of the trash being disposed.
The corresponding rates for Commercial Accounts shall be:
Pick-up per Week
1 – 5 pickups per week–Monday through Friday, based on City collection route scheduling
6 pickups per week–Monday through Saturday
(c) Any customer not specifically enumerated in the schedule in subsection (b) will be charged a rate based upon estimated volume as estimated by the City Manager or someone under his direction. If it is determined by the City Manager or his designee that a specific-type container will better serve the customer and/or be more advantageous to the sanitation collection system, the customer will be required to use that type container. Customers assigned 96-gallon carts will be responsible for replacement cost if the cart is damaged or lost.
Sanitation Services – Frequently Asked Questions
Where can I take a load of trash?
The City operates a landfill that will accept trash from residents.
What can I take to the landfill?
The following is a partial list of materials that are not accepted at the landfill or transfer stations.
- Industrial waste
- Radioactive waste
- PCB contaminated waste
- Medical waste
- Soil from hazardous spills or underground storage tank leaks
- Lead acid batteries
- Used automotive oil filters
- Refrigeration equipment containing CFC’s from sources other than resident
- Any waste requiring written acknowledgment as proof of disposal
Other waste may be rejected for disposal if it is determined that it would create a nuisance by reason of emission, disagreeable odors or would operate to make the site unwholesome or adversely affect the public health, safety and welfare.
Where can residents recycle?
Currently, curbside recycling is not offered to residential customers, however, recyclable items may be taken to the Recycling Center located at 604 North Valentine Street.
Sanitation Services – Extra Cost Services
Construction or remodeling materials such as lumber or roofing materials can be picked up as a Cost Plus service, as well as on demand collection of brush/bulky objects outside of normal collection week. Call 432-336-8525 when calling from outside the city limits for a free estimate. Bricks, concrete, rocks, dirt, paint, oil, and hazardous containers are not collected in either the Cost Plus or regular brush and bulky trash collection services.
Pick-up garbage collection, other than curb or alley is available at an extra charge (exception: Pick-up for physically impaired persons residing without an able-bodied person in the household is provided at no extra charge upon approval of a completed application and Doctors Statement). Call 432-336-8525 when calling from outside the city limits for details and fees.
Brush and Bulky Waste Collection
The City of Fort Stockton Solid Waste Services Department provides Brush and Bulky Waste Collection to the residents. Call 432-336-8525 to inquire about your Brush/Bulky Waste collection service.
- Brush and Bulky Waste Collection includes items such as furniture, appliances, and tree limbs.
- Rock, scrap building materials or other trash resulting from construction or major remodeling, or resulting from general cleanup of vacant or improved property shall not be removed by the City. These items include but are not limited to interior and exterior remodeling materials, fencing and roofing materials. The owner shall have such trash and debris removed at owner’s expense.
- Whether you’re planning a small bathroom remodel or a larger construction project, the City of Fort Stockton Solid Waste Services has a roll-off container that will fit your needs. Service includes the rental of a 20 or 30 yard, open-top roll-off container.
- Tree limbs need to be cut in lengths of eight feet or less and in widths no more than two feet in diameter.
- Items should not be placed near fire hydrants, gas meters, overhanging/low limbs, utility wires, utility poles, water meters, sprinkler heads, parked vehicles, etc. to ensure proper collection.
- Loose items such as leaves, twigs and small branches should be bagged or boxed weighing 50 lbs or less. Bagged items weighing 50 lbs or less and/or small amounts of brush are collected by your regular residential refuse collection crews.
- Items should be set at your front curbside no later than 7 a.m. the morning of collection.
- When placing refrigerators at your curb for collection, please remove doors and contact 432-336-8525 immediately. Refrigerators will be removed as quickly as possible.
Roll-Off Container Service
Whether you’re planning a small bathroom remodel or a larger construction project, the City of Fort Stockton Solid Waste Services has a roll-off container that will fit your needs. Service includes the rental of a 20 or 30 yard, open-top roll-off container.
A roll-off is a temporary container and is referred to as “roll-off” because the container itself is typically configured with small wheels, and the vehicle used to deliver and pick up the container uses a hoist and a tipping bed to roll the container on and off at each site.
Solid Waste Services will provide roll-off container service to a residential customer, with proof of a current City of Fort Stockton water account or to a commercial customer, business, church, governmental agency, or other entity, with proof of business status and location within the City of Fort Stockton.
Call 432-336-8525 to inquire about your Roll-off Container service.